Thursday, October 2, 2014

Angel Kisses for the Feast of the Guardian Angels

This post was written by Catholic Cuisine contributor, Charlotte from Waltzing Matilda


I whipped up these little peppermint meringue cookies earlier today trying to beat the rain that is heading our way today. If you've ever made meringue cookies, you know that rain or humidity can kill all of your efforts turning what should be a delightfully crispy little melt-in-your-mouth treat into a chewy piece of cardboard. I wanted to add a little peppermint flavor to my cookies which some people do with crushed up candy canes but I still wanted them to be white for the feast day today so I used a little peppermint extract. Keep these in mind for Christmas too!

Angel Kisses

2 egg whites (room temperature… very important to let your egg whites come to room temperature)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract (depends on how pepperminty you want them.

Preheat oven to 225 degrees and line pans with parchment paper. Place egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in a metal bowl and whip with electric mixer. You can't use a hand whisk. It doesn't put enough air into the egg whites.


When you have beaten the whites to form stiff peaks (tips of whites stand straight up in the air when you pull the beaters out) and the egg whites look glossy, gradually add your sugar. Add it slowly and beat well after each addition. Finally, using a clean spatula free of any kind of oil, quickly fold in the peppermint extract using a light hand. Scoop batter into a gallon size zip top bag with one corner cut off or use a piping bag with a decorative tip. Pipe out little dollops. Place pans in oven for 1.5 hours. Don't let the cookies brown. They should be completely dry when done. Turn off oven and leave door ajar while the cookies cool completely.

Enjoy!

I humbly salute you, O you faithful, heavenly Friends of my children! 
I give you heartfelt thanks for all the love and goodness you show them. 
At some future day I shall, with thanks more worthy than I can now give, 
repay your care for them, and before the whole heavenly court 
acknowledge their indebtedness to your guidance and protection. 
Continue to watch over them. Provide for all their needs of body and soul. 
Pray, likewise, for me, for my husband, and my whole family, 
that we may all one day rejoice in your blessed company. Amen


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. we must be in your same weather line! :) guessing we are north west of you since our first rain came the morning. And still coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love all of your ideas and recipes! Since discovering your blog, we have been celebrating a lot more of these feast days. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are just lovely!

    PS send me some of that rain, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom just reminded me made these when we kids were growing up. We add the addition of mini chocolate chips. Thank you for helping bring back memories. Hope you don't mind that I shared the recipe on my blog. :D Happy Feast Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my daughters made some lovely meringues yesterday morning too. Next year, she might need to add a little peppermint.

    ReplyDelete